Should I buy a campervan – well, there’s a question! Now I am probably biased as I love campervan’s, but if you need help deciding whether you should buy one or not, let’s see what I can do…
- Does the phrase should I buy a campervan keep turning over in your mind?
- Do you find yourself googling for campervan pictures and information?
- Do you look longingly at campervan’s when they pass you on the road?
If you answered yes to any of those, then you’re probably already more than halfway convinced that you should buy one. But as I know from experience, sometimes we need a push one way or the other.
If you are looking for that push…
Ask yourself these questions…
- Have I got an overwhelming urge for the open road?
- Do I want to take off and see new places?
- Do I want a sense of freedom?
- Would I love to stop at a beautiful view and be able to climb in the back and put the kettle on?
- Do I want a mini-home on wheels?
Right, so how are you doing? Still asking should I buy a campervan, or have you made up your mind?
No, not quite? Ah, is the voice of reason trying to tip your balance? Are you being practical? Yes? Well, okay, let’s address those concerns.
Here are some more questions for you to ask yourself…
- Can I actually afford a campervan?
- Have I got a place to park it?
- How often will I get to use it?
- Will I use it as my main transport or do I need a car as well?
- Can I afford to tax and insure it?
So, how are you doing now? If you are feeling quite chirpy and full of beans, you’ve probably answered the question should I buy a campervan, with a resounding YES! If so, well done. That’s great, you’ve made your decision!
I know how much fun it can be owning a campervan. Go ahead and enjoy every moment. (You might want to look at our article Build a campervan or buy a campervan and read the advice in the section Buy a Campervan to help you on your way.)
“All you’ve got to do is decide to go and the hardest part is over.”
– Tony Wheeler
But, if your shoulders are sagging, and you feel a little deflated, then that last lot of questions have probably taken their toll. If that’s the case, and you feel that your balloon has just been popped, then don’t despair.
I have some more questions, just for you…
- Do I actually need one of the fancy campervan’s I’ve been drooling over?
- Is it possible that I could buy a secondhand bargain?
- Could I convert a van and build my own?
- Could I use it as my main transport so I only have to run one vehicle?
- Has it got to be a campervan, or would a caravan work for me?
If your eye has been on the ‘dream’ campervan, then you probably have resisted the idea of downscaling your desire. But if money and practicality is the issue, then you can still get to travel if you adjust your expectations (and the way you go about achieving it) a little.
Some things to think about:
You could always convert a van into a campervan. If you build a DIY campervan as we did, then you could use the van as your main transport while you are in the process of converting it. That way you can work on it a bit at a time when you have the money.
Or, maybe a caravan would work for you? If you are considering that choice, check out our post Campervan or Caravan – which is best for you.
But just remember that where there’s a will, there’s a way. You don’t have to give up on the dream!
Good luck, and maybe we’ll see you on the road!
“It always seems impossible until it’s done.”
― Nelson Mandela